25 Things I’ve Learned in 25 Years
Today I turn 25 and every year as another birthday rolls around I reflect on the year that was and how I have grown and changed. So in saying that I thought I would put together a little list of 25 things I’ve learnt over my 25 years.
1. Love hurts but is totally worth it. Your greatest love will most likely come after your greatest heartbreak. It may not feel like it at the time but it will be worth it. Long-lasting relationships take time and hard work. Communication is ridiculously important.
2. Life is now. It is literally happening right now all around you so make sure you are doing what you love.
3. Not everyone will like you and that’s ok. Don’t let that change who you are or what you’re doing.
4. It’s never too late to start. One step in the right direction is better than standing still.
5.Life is short. Forgive quickly and let your loved ones know that you love them every day.
6. Don’t sweat the small stuff and be kind to yourself, you’re doing the best you can.
7. Blasting music and dancing around in your underwear is good for the soul.
8. Change is good, it isn’t always easy but it is often necessary. I’ve heard it can be as good as a holiday.
9. Save your money! It doesn’t matter how much you save, just put some money away each week/month and don’t touch it. Just because it rains doesn’t mean you get to spend it either.
10. Make memories. Travel the world and go on adventures. Travel is one of the only things you will spend your money on that makes you richer.
11. People will come into your life for one of two reasons: they’re either a blessing or a lesson. Learn to let people go, if they’re meant to be in your life they’ll always find their way back, eventually.
12. It’s ok not to be ok. You don’t have to have your life completely figured out by a certain age. I used to think that 25 year olds were legit adults, I now realise how wrong I was.
13. Hard work makes achieving something so satisfying.
14. Netflix may possibly be the best invention yet! Oh and Dry Shampoo.
15. Have courage and be kind. If it’s good enough for Cinderella, it’s good enough for me.
16. Talk with children about life. They are incredibly raw, honest and insightful.
17. Put your phone down and look around at the world. It’s incredibly humbling to watch other people and imagine the journey they have been on.
18. No matter how they may seem in public, no family is perfect. Embrace your family flaws and all, they’re the only one you have.
19. Everyone you meet knows something that you don’t. Ask questions and listen during conversations with people because you might learn something new.
20. Sometimes you need to cry for no reason. Just let it out.
21. It’s ok to have a small group of friends. When it comes to friends quality is much more important than quantity. In fact the quantity is very different as you get older.
22. Spend more time with your parents. As we get older, so do they.
23. Social media is a highlight reel for most people’s lives. Don’t compare your real life to a filtered selfie of someone else that was taken 67 times and edited in Facetune.
24. It’s totally ok to be the person who has never drunk alcohol before. Some people may judge or question your choices but others may applaud it. Do what works for you, it saves you a lot of money and you remember everything that everyone does.
25. The best is yet to come! Tomorrow is a new day full of new dreams and opportunities.